Security Basics mailing list archives

Ottawa based, searching for a distance/online security course to complete my IS certificate

From: marcus peddle <marcus_peddle () yahoo ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:50:41 -0500 (EST)

Hey folks,

I have two courses to go in the security program I am
doing at a college in Ottawa, Ontario.  Thing is it's
an evening program and in all their wisdom, they have
again decided to not offer the courses I need this
semester.  So that leaves me in the bit-bucket with
regards to finishing up this certificate over the
winter.  Perhaps you can help..

I am seeking either an affordable on-line program to
complete the courses below, or an alternative to my
present school in the Ottawa area that offers similar
programs.  The college I attend allows for me to
submit a portfolio of acquired education and
experience to receive credit for courses, as is my
goal here.

The 2 courses are:

-INFORMATION ENCRYPTION AND PRODUCT IMPLEMENTATION

Students examine symmetric and asymmetric
cryptographic theory and systems. Algorithms are
studied in relation to their strength and assurance.
The applications and uses of various key management
methodologies and technologies are covered. Included
in these topics are integrity, electronic signatures,
and user identification. Students will cover
implementation issues such as standards, hardware and
software, the administration and management of keys,
and interdependencies with other security features.
Error detecting features of encryption methods are
scrutinized. The deployment and use of commercially
available cryptographic products will be demonstrated
and used in a practical setting

-ETHICS AND LEGAL/REGULATORY ISSUES

Students examine selected ethical frameworks and the
importance of ethics in system security management.
Ethical decision-making is practised. The influence of
ethics on security-related legislation is studied.
Students are introduced to the Canadian Justice system
including criminal and civil proceedings. Emphasis is
placed upon evidence and its admissibility at company
discipline hearings and in court. Federal statutes
including copyright, privacy legislation, intellectual
property laws, and trans-border data flows are
examined.

I appreciate any help you can provide me on this
endeavour.