Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: switched n/w

From: Jacob Weeks <jaweeks () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 06:28:40 -0700

An ARP spoofing attack would allow someone to view any network traffic
they wanted on the network.  A utility called ettercap will actually
allow you to pull content out of a stream between 2 computers over a
switched link.  As for changing? using such a utility you would need
to know the exact protocols and be able to script the alterations.

Which type of systems are the users complaining about their info being
changed?  Could someone be running a tool like ettercap and getting
passwords that let someone login as those users and change the
information that way?