Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Logging utility

From: Roman Werpachowski <roman () student ifpan edu pl>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:56:19 +0200

Dnia czwartek, 5 sierpnia 2004 20:51, Roger A. Grimes napisał:
The real work is then building reports from the data and splicing the
events into more fields than the default syslog database allows.  Even
when you get all the data aggregated, different devices will report
(even the same events) differently.  For example, a Port scan may be
called two different things by two different devices and and the filter
that identifies the port scan on one device will probably be different
than it is on another.  So the easy part is collecting and aggregating.
Making useful data and reports out of it is much more effort.

Is there any (open) standard on syslog entries format?

--
/* Roman Werpachowski */

Ten e-mail został sprawdzony i
zaakceptowany przez fretkę Tintin.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html