Security Basics mailing list archives

Password Cracking

From: Eoin Fleming <rtfm () o2 ie>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:44:00 +0100

Bit of an unusual one -

Lets imagine you are a security administrator at a company - strong passwords are enforced but you suspect that there
may be exceptions and you want to raise management awareness of breaches of the password policy BUT you can't run
cracking software as then you will know individuals passwords - which you don't want to know as this breaks
acountability rather nicely.

In short - is there software that can perform the function of LC and John without giving the admin the password but
rather rate the password against against a set criteria?

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html