Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IP KVM switches

From: Steve Joerger <steve_joerger () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:14:46 -0400

Brasha wrote:
> I would like to know the experiences of the user
> community and security issues related to “IP KVM”
> switches.

I have no direct experience with the HP line of kvm/ip switches but I do have experiernce with the Avocent and Dell (rebranded Avocent) kvm/ip switches.

As for security, these have gui software that requires a username and password to do anything with them which to me is acceptable. The only thing they don't have (or I haven't found the right option) is a username/password on the physical console.

As for performance they are at the bottom of my list, mostly due to the mouse tracking issues. For remote managemtment of (Windows) servers my list looks like (best to worst):

1. Remote Desktop/Terminal Services
2. VNC
3. PCAnywhere
4. kvm/ip switch

Steve

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html