Security Basics mailing list archives

Question about wireless lan card drivers....

From: "Kyle Stapp" <kstapp () vt edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:03:24 -0700

Hello all,
This is my first time posting. so here it goes...  I have been reading up on
mac address spoofing etc for a little, and the ways to detect it.  I have
read about the all famous prism Host-AP pack and Fake-AP.  I am looking for
similar information for other cards.  I don't quite understand if the prism
is a component of the wireless card or is the brand of the card itself.  I
tried looking up specs for my wpc54g linksys wireless notebook adapter but
could not find any information about the hardware components or any kind of
documentation of the instruction set/api for it(if one exists.  Obviously
there is some way to access a card, given that you know what commands to use
etc, and alter its function just as the prism pack does.  I am wondering if
it is capable with other cards, specifically mine, and how I would obtain a
copy of some detailed specs for the card(some kind of api/intrusction set
etc).  I would also like to know if the prism pack would probably work with
the linksys(I doubt it, but I am very beginnerish at this).  Any and all
information related to this topic(programming wireless lan cards) would be
greatly appreciated and documents on the insides of a wpc54g.  Thanx for
anyone who responds,
RabidCicada

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html