Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: protect MS Windows 95/98/Me

From: "Ian Kelly" <e2chameleon () btopenworld com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:03:38 +0100

There used to be a product called Xtra Secure from Thunderstore that
provided application access control under 95/98 and ME. I don't know if the
company still exists (I thing Kaspersky now own the domain) but the product
still seems to be available from Chameleon Technology (no relation to me) at
http://www.chameleontech.com/thunder.html. For OS's such as XP/2000 products
such as Reflex Disknet Pro
(http://www.reflex-magnetics.com/products/disknetpro/) and SecureEXE
(http://www.securewave.com/products/secureexe/) do similar things.

Finjan provide a behaviour blocking system (that includes the monitoring of
executable and other active code) that can be used to enhance you anti-virus
systems.

There are a few resources available to assist you when looking for an
anti-virus product. The ICSA Labs (http://www.icsalabs.com/index.shtml) test
and certify security related products as does West Coast Labs
(http://www.check-mark.com/). They provide an independent view on the
abilities of products to perform to high standards. Virus Bulletin
(http://www.virusbtn.com/) and AV-Test.org (http://www.av-test.org/) provide
comparative analysis of the effectiveness of anti-virus products. These
resources should help you identify the product best suited to you.

There are systems available that let you re-implement your corporate build
when it has been tampered with. This can be done either at set intervals or
at logon/logoff (depending on the product). This is useful in uncontrolled
environments such as Internet Cafes. Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on
the reference material I had for this. Does anyone else have any more info?

Cheers,

Ian Kelly,
e2chameleon Information Security Resource.

http://www.e2chameleon.btinternet.co.uk