Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Encryption - Part II

From: "Lucas Zaichkowsky" <LZaichkowsky () cyracom net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:55:43 -0700

As someone else said, EFS is at the filesystem level.  When you logon to
your account, you have access to the private key and all encrypted data
under your account can be read.  To maximize EFS security, export the
private key to a reliable media and put that in a safe.  Keep a second copy
on a USB memory stick that you can put on your actual physical keychain.
When you need to read an encrypted file, you'll have to give it the private
key to decrypt it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223316

-Lucas