Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What is the most secure web browser,

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:49:37 +0200

On 2003-09-15 secureot () yahoo com wrote:
There have been several recent vulnerabilities in the past few weeks
alone on IE, that prove that it is obviously not the secure web
browser of choice. My question to the list, is what is the most secure
browser that will not get manipulated like IE?

Depends on what environment you have. If you have at least a Windows
2000 Server at hand, you can use Group Policies to tighten IE (use the
different zones to allow or disallow specific options). For standalone
installations I would recommend Mozilla or Opera, which are more secure
by default (as they don't support ActiveX), but even they have had their
share of vulnerabilities, so you will still have to stay alert.

I don?t think that continuous, almost daily patching is realistic or
even close to a resolution.

I doubt that you're going to get around this, regardless of what browser
you are going to use.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm