Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Encryption - Laptop

From: Markus Rossi <securityfocus () familyrossi com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:42:22 +0300

Hi,

It's built in into Windows 2000: Right click on a folder, choose "Properties", click "Advanced", tick "Encrypt contents to secure data".

There are quite a few commercial utilities for encrypting disks, but you could check http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgpdisk/ for starters. Versions earlier than 6.5 are free.

Markus Rossi

Ethan Harris wrote:

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the secuirty world, but have been recently asked by my company to find a product that will be able
encrypt files on a PC (mostly Win98 and Win2k based), especially on laptops.  They want an extra layer of security in case
any of these machines get stolen.  Thanks in advance for the input.

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm