Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows XP Pro cracker?

From: "news" <news.ajanas () cox net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:56:41 -0700

Here is info if changing the password is what you want to do.
Here is an article from security administrator
http://www.secadministrator.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=9528

Winternals ERD commander you can make a boot cd that will allow you to
reset the admin password. Of course that costs $$.
I have seen several Linux boot disks that are FREE that will do the same
thing.  The article directs you to here
http://www.nttoolbox.com/public/tools/LinNT.zip
Let me know how is works for ya!

You said you have access to run an app on the machine. Here are some
tools if you want to recover the password:

http://www.atstake.com/research/lc/index.html

Or if free is what you want try Cain and Able

http://www.oxid.it/

Changing the password is much faster, recovery requires more time.  Let
me know how it works out for ya!

I need to run fixmbr from the Recovery Console on my Windows XP Pro w/
SP1 install and was looking for suggestions of a program to
crack/retrieve my Admin password for the computer. Of course, I forgot
to use a basic password I know and I didn't write it down so now I am in

trouble. I have an Admin control level account on the machine so
authority to run a app is no issue.
Thanks for the help, otherwise I'll just have to keep guessing, change
the password (don't really want to loose the settings) or reload if the
password change doesn't take (only seen happen once).
Logan

---
Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30
(Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in

Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September
6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com
----