Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Student-Degree valuable or not?

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:27:13 -0700

Dan,

According the statistics released by Channel 11 in Silicon Valley, the top
two jobs in the US in the next four years will be;

1)  Biotech
2)  Hi-Tech Security - Physical and logical

I agree with some of the posts that most software coding will be shipped
over seas.  However, Information security may not be due to the breach of
security and if they do ship information security over seas then they are
either not thinking and/or "Homeland Security" is not doing their job.

There are lots of room for code reviewers that search for buffer overflows,
back doors/channels, and other compromising flaws or malicious coding in
software and operating systems.  I know for a fact that Netscreen was or is
hiring code reviewers.

A degree is a degree and will benefit you no matter what.  After you are
completed with your degree, I would think about entering the Master's
program at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh PA, the home of CERT or
Computer Emergency Response Team.  Or any University who will be recognized
as a leader in information security?

Also, the key to information security is to know a good deal about
everything in the TCP/IP and OSI models (Physical, Network, Application, and
etc. layers).  This way if information security does not work out for you,
you can move on to other careers in the industry, and information security
encompasses everything both physically and logically.

Regards,

Greg DeGennaro Jr., CCNP
Security Analyst