Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: book recommendations

From: "Shaolin Tiger" <shaolin () shaolin-tiger com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:08:11 +0100

Kent Stairley <kstairley () copper net> randomly produced:

:: Hi All,
::
:: I'd like your recommendations on computer & network security books
:: ranging from books for the beginner in security
:: to the expert pro. I'd also like to know if any has read
:: "Fundamentals of Computer Security" by
:: Pieprzyk, Hardjono, and Seberry and if so what is your opinion?
::
:: I'm also looking for info on hacking, cracking, & the security of
:: card readers, tablet pc's, pda's, & windows ce.
:: Any add'l info, books, papers, etc. recommendations would be a great
:: help.
::
:: TIA,
:: Kent
::
::

It depends what area you are interested in really.

Security is such a pervasive thing.

Cryptography? Penetration Testing? Security Management? Policy? Forensics
and Incident Response? Physical Security? Social Engineering? Access
Control? Database Security?

These are just a few areas, and each of these areas has many books.

As others have said though check out Hacking Exposed 4th Edition.

You can find my review here:
http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6300

If you are a beginner I would also recommend Maximum Security 4E:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7139

You can find other reviews on more specific books here:
http://reviews.security-forums.com

We currently have about 31 more books to review in the pending pile, so
check back.

(Forensics, Cryptography, Java Security, Networking, CCNA Study Guides, Hack
Notes and so on)

Read anything you can really, to be competent in security you need to cover
the basics of everything..

Get TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1, Get a teach yourself C book, get a few
Crypto books, something on Linux admin, something on Windows admin, some
networking books

Also check out this links list:

http://www.darknet.org.uk/content/linkstext.txt

I updated it massively fairly recently, if you check every site on the list
you'll be doing better than most people.

Also subscribe to lots of mailing lists and read them whenever you can.

And of course the site in my sig.

HTH

Shaolin

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.