Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: book recommendations

From: Eric <eric () sandpile net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:50:37 -0500

I might recommend "Hacking Exposed". It's a good broad-level overview of security and hacking that includes a basic introduction to some of the technologies. It goes from giving you basics on TCP/IP to very specific recommendations on how to use 'nmap' and 'snort'... Good for the Intermediate computer geek who understands networks but may not grasp all of the intricacies of the protocols, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072227427/002-5162664-8409624

There are hundreds of others, but the first edition of this book (now in 4th edition) is what got me started.

Eric

Kent Stairley wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like your recommendations on computer & network security books ranging
from books for the beginner in security
to the expert pro. I'd also like to know if any has read "Fundamentals of
Computer Security" by
Pieprzyk, Hardjono, and Seberry and if so what is your opinion?

I'm also looking for info on hacking, cracking, & the security of card
readers, tablet pc's, pda's, & windows ce.
Any add'l info, books, papers, etc. recommendations would be a great help.

TIA,
Kent