Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Would you bet your life on your security?

From: "MacDougall, Shane" <smacdougall () idanalytics com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:45:17 -0700

As a former pen-tester with over 13 years experience, I can say that many companies (large and small) offer this as an
incentive (I've worked with all types). In fact, in the past when some potential clients bragged that their networks
didn't need pentests because they were secure, we'd offer a "double or nothing" option - if we gained root access
they'd pay double our initial quoted price. If we didn't get in, they'd pay only our travel costs and we'd eat the
rest. Most would balk, and instead opt to go with the initial fee.

Just because ISECOM forbids it means nothing in the real world. I've met **many** "pen-testers" who couldn't hack their
way out of a wet paper computer. They'd do a basic scan of a network, not notice obvious vulns staring them in the
face, then write a report saying the network was secure. The only people that gained anything from the exercise were
the "consultants". The clients still had vulnerable networks, yet were blissfully unaware of the fact, and were out the
money for the "review".

I've seen "Big 5" (or Big 4 I guess now) firms throwing IIS scripts at verified Apache servers, and "boutique" pen test
firms reporting routers as secure when their config files (passwords and all) were open to the world.

Offering a money back guarantee protects companies from hiring firms that know how to run ISS, nmap and nessus, but can
do f**k all with the results. If you can't back your work, get out of the arena.

The only real concern here is defining what discovered vulnerabilities are "critical". This can easily become a
quagmire for the consultant unless the ground rules are clearly established before the engagement begins. Does a host
running ECHO/CHARGEN qualify as a critically vulnerable system? That depends on whether or not the system's data is
critical, or its availability is critical. I've had many clients who couldn't give a rat's ass if their network could
be DOS'd - as long as the data on the hosts was intact they could sleep soundly.

My $.02 ($.028 Canadian)

SET FLAMES=ON

Shane MacDougall
Chief Security Officer