Security Basics mailing list archives

Internet Alert/Threat Levels

From: "Andy Cuff [Talisker]" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:18:25 -0000

Hi,
I've been working on a page to become a security information one-stop shop,
appraising the viewer
of the security situation on the Internet at a given moment.
http://www.securitywizardry.com/radar.htm (15 min refresh).  The news,
vulnerability and virus information is pretty much there, but I need to
alt-source some threat levels from around 4 security organisations:

Symantec have been brilliant, they changed their image naming convention to
suit
the page's needs within minutes.  ISS on the other hand are still "working
the
issue" some 6 weeks later.  The images have to be dynamic and updated at
source, not by me as I would add unacceptable latency. I am looking for
alert
images that complement each other, for instance the Symantec Alertcon is
quick to follow the threat, with a good level of variation.  The Secunia
image very rarely changes and has been at level 3 or 4 for months, The ISS
ThreatCon seems to err on the side of caution with the occasional blip when
something occurs.  My personal preference is towards the granularity of
variation offered by Symantec, but can see the advantage of ISS not wishing
to cry wolf.

I have also looked at the US Homeland Security image but dropped it until I
can find another Country's image offering an International comparison.

The question I wish to ask readers is are there any other contenders out
there offering a threat level associated with the Internet Security Threat,
The Internet Storm Centre image is way too large.

thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

take care
-andy
Talisker Security Tools Directory
http://www.securitywizardry.com

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027