Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: System Certification

From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:49:59 +1000

Hi Andy,

Define Certification as it pertains to IT/IS

Certification is the process of performing a comprehensive analysis of the security features and safeguards of a system
to establish the extent to which the security requirements are satisfied.

The certification process considers the system in its operational environment. This means the security mode of
operation, specific users, what training the users will receive, the applications and their data sensitivity, system
and facility configuration and location, and its intercommunication with other systems are all considered during the
certification process.

Define Accreditation as it pertains to IT/IS

Accreditation is the official management decision to operate a system. Certificate proves it is capable, while
accreditation means that we will run it. The accreditation specifies the

Security mode it will work in

Prescribed set of countermeasures

Defined threats, and stated vulnerabilities

Given operational concept and environment

Stated interconnection to other systems

The risk of operation is formally accepted

And the accreditation is for a stated period.

cheers
Ivan

Ivan Coric
IT Technical Security Officer
Information Technology
WorkCover Queensland
Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
Email: ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au

"Andy Rose" <andymrose () hotmail com> 10/09/03 06:21pm >>>
Just a quick question - I'm trying to clarify the difference between 'system
certification' and 'system accreditation'.  I've reading conflicting
definitions in different CISSP book - can anyone give me a definitive
answer?

Thanks

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used
for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this
information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.