Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Automatically locking workstations

From: Peter Wohlers <pedro () whack org>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:31:25 -0700

Matthew Crape wrote:

Greetings all,
Please excuse me if this question has been asked before (I didn't see it
in the archives), but is there some sort of policy setting that I can enable
in a Win2k AD environment which automatically locks a computer after a
preset timed amount of inactivity? If failing that, does anyone have any
suggestions on how to achieve something similar? Thanks.

If you want to force a 10 min screensaver timeout with password requirement,
go to the GP editor and open up this folder:
User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Display
Set the following items

Hide Screen Saver tab: enabled
Screen Saver: enabled
Screen Saver executable name: Set this to some standard
Password protect the screen saver: enabled
Screen Saver Timeout: 600 (seconds)

--
* Peter Wohlers *