Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certs

From: "Nick Duda" <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:29:51 -0400

I'd like to just throw in my situation. It's kind of weird but its been good to me. I have 9 years exp in IT. Started
as a hardware guy then network engineer/admin, now security admin. I feel that I know my share of things ranging from
MS and *nix , Cisco, hardware, and most of all security. Up until last Dec I had one certs (1996 Win95 MCP lol), my
exp. has been the plane I've been flying on. I've tried certs and for some reason I just cant focus on these multiple
choice questions but rather know how to just "do stuff in real life". I am only certified Security+ and CCSA
(checkpoint). I plan on doing more certs, if I can somehow learn the patience of reading a book and sitting an exam
instead of 14 hour days of hacking away at stuff till I know the hands on way to do things. So without any well known
certs I've keep stable full time work through this economy (knock on wood).

- Nick