Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: email gateway (transparent)

From: "Filip Maertens" <fmt () ascure com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:58:09 +0100

Consider installing a Linux/BSD distribution running postfix, amavisd,
spamassassin and open clamd or commercial AV software (e.g. sophos,
[insert your flavor here], ...

Interesting reads:

 - http://lawmonkey.org/anti-spam.html (got me all the way)
 - http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200309/postfix-spamassassin.html (postfix
and spamassassin)
 - http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200212/sophos-amavis.html (amavisd and
sophos)
 - http://jessen.ch/articles/spamassassin-and-postfix/config
 - http://clamav.elektrapro.com/ (open source AV project)

However you want to stick to an open source solution, be aware that
there is very little chance you'll be getting a "zero configuration" GUI
popping up ;-) Last time I installed/maintained this, I spent a couple
of hours at the command line. But once it's running... It remains stable
and -very- effective in blocking spam and virusses.

Using a "defense in depth" angle will make you think about adding a
second layer in fighting off spam and virusses. That's perhaps why you'd
want to build an mta/relay using open source solutions (as described
above) and a second one (internal mail server) running commercial tools
(e.g. GFI software, Mailmarshal, Spamkiller, Symantec, ...).

This is a quite common practice and depends greatly how heavily your
enterprise relies on e-mail, takes this serious and is willing to
invest.

Good luck,

Fil