Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: "David J. Bianco" <bianco () jlab org>
Date: 28 May 2003 13:07:15 -0400

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 12:38, steve baker wrote:
One of our users has received questionable and possibly life threatening
emails from a yahoo account that was created recently.  They have approached
us to find out as much as we can pertaining to the person sending it.

Of course, we are not YAHOO so we cannot determine anything about the mail
other than the content.

How can we find out who sent this?

Unless the offender used your own network to connect to Yahoo to
send the emails, you probably can't tell who sent them without outside
assistance.  Consult your legal counsel about the possibility of
calling in law enforcement.  This sounds like a case of "cyber-stalking"
and there are laws against this.

        David

--
David J. Bianco, GSEC GCUX              <bianco () jlab org>
GPG Fingerprint:  516A B80D AAB3 1617 A340  227A 723B BFBE B395 33BA

     The views expressed herein are solely those of the author and
            not those of SURA/Jefferson Lab or the US DOE.