Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: David Fetter <david.fetter () fetterconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:56:01 -0700

If you believe the threats are serious enough, then you should open a channel of communications with yahoo and the FBI. Yahoo will most likely track down ip address(es) of the user in question and provide it to the authorities in accordance with the law.

steve baker wrote:
One of our users has received questionable and possibly life threatening
emails from a yahoo account that was created recently. They have approached
us to find out as much as we can pertaining to the person sending it.

Of course, we are not YAHOO so we cannot determine anything about the mail
other than the content.

How can we find out who sent this?

--
David M. Fetter - http://www.fetterconsulting.com/

"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just skimming off a tiny bit of it." Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash