Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: Jason Dixon <jason () argus-networks com>
Date: 23 May 2003 13:25:39 -0400

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 11:27, dschaible wrote:
OK, I'll bite too.  I know there is this Holy War between Linux and *BSD.
But a well configured firewall is a well configured firewall, whatever the
OS.  A lot of the Hardware Firewalls on the market run Linux kernels.

A quick note about OpenBSD/PF.  Daniel Hartmeier recently posted the
results of the c2k3 hackathon.  In addition to the other changes, PF now
boasts a SYN proxy in the kernel, layer 3.  Very cool.

The firewall that's right for you is one you know how to configure and meets
the needs you need to fulfill.  To just say that X is a poor firewall is a
little on the ignorant side.

Absolutely.  I prefer OpenBSD firewalls over Linux, primarily due to the
simplicity of configuration.  As a wise SysAdmin once said, "Using
OpenBSD is like cheating".  I'm an RHCE, and you couldn't pay me enough
(well, maybe) to specialize in netfilter/iptables.  Bleh.

-J.

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics