Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: googling an IP address

From: "Derek @ ilexa" <Derek () ilexa co uk>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 01:54:47 +0100

What you're seeing here is your own IP address in the stats pages of
websites. Some website owners make their stats available on the site. These
are being spidered by Google along with all the other pages so when you
search for an IP you may find it in the logfiles of these websites and see
it in the stats.

Each entry in ta server logfile contains the calling IP, time and date, and
may also contain the site you came from and the words you put in the search
box on the search engine

There's not much you can do about it and if you have a static IP then it's
quite a privacy issue.

Derek