Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: some permission problem?

From: "Barry Irwin" <bvi () itouchlabs com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:15:29 +0200

Hi

I would assume that you are running some kind of unix platform.  You should
have a look at your HTTP server configuration as well as the log files, and
try and determine how the person grabbed the password file.   A number of
older webservers were vulnerable to the so-called '..' or  directory
traversal whereby they person could do the following:

Given that the webserver webroot "/" is in /usr/www, they can send a request
for /../../etc/passwd.   Using normal Unix directory traversal, the passwd
file would be retrieved.

I would suggest you investigate whether your web server is vulnerable to
this problem first off, and possibly if you are able to correct this.
However without further information its difficult to provide further
assistance.

Barry

--
Barry Irwin         bvi () itouchlabs com                    Tel:
+27214875178