Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: analyzing packets

From: "Neal K. Groothuis" <ngroot-securityfocus () lo-cal org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:56:00 -0500

Ethereal has built in protocol decoding.  Just go down to the bottom pane
and expand the tree control.  Or is there something else you're looking for?

                                                - neal

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:04:50PM -0400, Lance Worthington wrote:
What tools do most of you use to break down a packet. I'm able to catch
packets with tcpdump or etheral but from there I'm not sure what to do. Does
anyone recommend utils or low level white papers on the subject?

Lance

--
A faith; this is a necessity for man. Woe to him who believes nothing.
                                                --Victor Hugo