Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: smtp relay tester?

From: "Peter VE" <peter.ve () pandora be>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:42:08 +0100

or try  the openrelay tool   from  http://kickme.to/dpsecurity

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () JustThe net>
To: "Dan Phan" <dan.phan () beyond2020 com>
Cc: "Nuzman" <nuzman () shreve net>; "security basics"
<security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 4:36 PM
Subject: RE: smtp relay tester?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Dan Phan wrote:

mail from: me () anything com
250 OK - mail from <me () anything com>
rcpt to: anyone () anyone com
550 Relaying is prohibited

if you see:

550 Relaying is prohibited....

You are safe :)

Hardly. There are a lot of exploits for older versions of
various mail servers that allow attackers to get around the
restrictions. ordb.org, as someone else mentioned, is a good
place to start as is (IIRC) abuse.net. You don't want to run
one simple test, you want to run tests that check for all or
most of the exploits out there.

--
Steve Sobol/CTO/JustThe.net LLC/Mentor On The Lake (Cleveland),
OH/888.480.4NET

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfsbl1