Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Device Security

From: Tim Donahue <TDonahue () haynesconstruction com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:54:37 -0500

    Wireless Link     Wireless Link

              1   2
 ---|        |--|--\                   |-----------|

 Data        Data                       Device to Store Data
 Source      collector

I hate to bring up an old thread again, but I have an idea that I had been
tossing around for a while... I have a slightly different senerio, but I
think that the same principle would apply here.  I have been trying to
figure out a way to make our wireless network more secure, and combining a
lot of the ideas that have been tossed around here I have come up with one
that I think will fit my needs.  Here is a quick modification of my idea.
(Note all the standard disclaimers apply here.)

Why don't you do this, use a CF boot device, or similar embedded device for
your data collector.  Put a wireless card in it, and configure a VPN
Connection to your storage device.  This should meet your low power
consumption needs, the company that comes to mind has products that use a
max of 10 watts.

Put a wireless card in your storage device, and put the device in AP mode (I
have been told this can be done in the BSD's, Free Open and Net, with
Orinoco and several brands of cards, but I have not had time to test it
myself).  You would host the VPN off this machine, and would (to some
degree) secure your network.

Tim Donahue

PS. I'd love to hear what solution you come up with.

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfsbl1