Security Basics mailing list archives

40-bit VS 128-bit Encryption

From: "Stephen Bock" <sbock () smchcn net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:21:43 -0500

I am setting up a secure website and i was wondering which would be better
to use, 40-bit or 128-bit?  Obviously, 128-bit would be stronger and not
easily crackable, but it is also more expensive.  Does anybody know if 40 or
128-bit has been cracked yet?  I'm not going to be transmitting any credit
card info over the net, but i will be sending username, password, etc.  What
are your thoughts?

Stephen Bock
Information Technology/Webmaster
Samaritan Ministries International

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm