Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IP address allocation

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:21:40 -0700

  For a while it was common for some servers to reject connections
from IP addresses that didn't resolve via reverse DNS(*).  Since
delegating reverse DNS along other than Class C boundaries is a
real pain (not impossible, but all 3 ways to do it count as
kludges...), an ISP that does it for any of its space might as
well do it for all.
  (*) I don't recall the exact rationale, and it has been a while
since I've seen any discussion of it.

David Gillett