Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IP address allocation

From: "Brad Hill - Quonic" <brad () quonic com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:06:46 -0400

It may depend on the kind of ISP you're dealing with. DSL/Cable
providers seem to assigning generic DNS entries such as
host01.client.com, host02.client.com, etc for every IP address in a
block. I believe most ISP's offering leased lines will do the same
however they will usually change the DNS entries if requested. The
alternative would be to manage your own DNS.

To answer your question more directly: Yes, most ISP's will assign
generic DNS entries for all IP's in a block regardless of whether or not
they are currently in use.

__
Brad Hill
brad () quonic com