Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: win2k firewall

From: "Jimmy Sansi" <jsansi () ritzfoodservice com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:06:26 -0800

Running a firewall on a seperate machine or the server itself is
not a replacement for good security configurations and keeping the
system patched and plugged.

If it is dedicated to being a webserver only, turn off non-essential
services and stick it in a DMZ. As someone else mentioned using
a software based firewall on the system itself could load it
down if heavily trafficed, this may be a trade off however.

If your hosting database integrated web applications or using it
to pull double duty by running other networking services like a DC(I
wouldn't recomend doing so) there are more precautions to consider.

Use nmap or some other program to probe the open ports after
turning off services and uninstalling uneeded programs. I guess
this is starting to sound redundant redundant and a bit off
from the original topic by now. :-)

-Jimmy