Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring office web use

From: Mike Robinson <mrobinson () mpcsd org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:56:19 +0800

Though not quite the path you're looking down, I'd recomend using a proxy server and then parsing it's log files.

I use squid (www.squid-cache.org) with squidguard (www.squidguard.org).

I parse the log files with some ugly shell scripts, but there's a handful of logfile parsers listed on the squid site.

m.

Sedat DOG(RU wrote:
Hi,

We are searching some (preferrably free source or at most cheap) tools that can be used to monitor internet usage. The tool should be able to runon linux, directly on the command line or as a deamon.The tool should provide us the DNS names of the hosts that are connected to together with the connection times.

I have done a search on google but could not find only some advanced (and probably expensive) tools.

I've found that with extra scripting effort tcpdump, snort or tcpflow can be made do the work, but I want to first find an easier solution

If you know any tools, please let me know

Thanks in advance,