Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Router Packet Filtering and Firewalls

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:31:45 -0800

  Certainly a firewall can check for things that a router probably
doesn't have the memory and/or spare horsepower for.  But there is
some traffic that is just simply obviously wrong, and the further
out from your core you can discard it, the less impact it can have
on your network and systems.
  The IOS "firewall feature", for instance, can filter on a bunch
of low-level "malformed packet" issues that I'm not certain many
common firewalls even look for.  On the other hand, stateful
inspection is a Very Good Thing, but takes more memory than most
routers have -- the router "established" check may simply trust
that the SYN bit is correct.

  So I agree that packet filter + firewall is the way to go.

David Gillett