Security Basics mailing list archives

Router Packet Filtering and Firewalls

From: Geoff Shatz <geoff.shatz () pchelps com>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 22:54:57 -0000

I am trying to confirm my thoughts regarding the use of router packet
filtering in addition to having a firewall behind the router but first a
little background...

Years ago when we first connected our firm to the Internet we did not have
a firewall but used packet filtering on the router to protect our
perimeter.

As time progressed and security became a much greater issue for everyone
in IT we moved forward an installed a firewall between our router and the
LAN. I was managing our router at that time and kept the initial packet
filters in place as I figured two layers of security were better than one.

A few years ago we were forced to switch ISP's and our new ISP managed the
router they supplied to us. They supplied the router with no ACL's applied
to either interface which as I understand it with Cisco IOS creates an
implicit permit for both inbound and outbound.

After contacting technical support I was told none of their customers use
packet filtering at the router level and that's what a firewall was for.
I had a small battle with them but they finally relented and configured
the router the way I asked them to.

We just had a second circuit installed and I had to go through the same
routine with them and the end result was the same.

Am I missing something here? Is it not better to have both packet
filtering applied on the router and a firewall behind it? Is there
something inherently wrong with this or is this just a case of our ISP not
really giving a damn about security and on top of it being lazy? Any
comments would be appreciated.

-Geoff