Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail 8.11 configuration/security issue

From: "Timothy M. Lyons" <lyons () digitalvoodoo org>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:15:21 -0500

Jim,

I used to run a similar configuration but moved to pop-before-smtp (actually IMAPS in my case).

You might want to take a look at http://popbsmtp.sourceforge.net/

--Tim

oobs3c02 () attbi com wrote:
I'm running sendmail 8.11 on a Solaris server. The server has a single interface and sits in my DMZ. I'm trying to find a way to block inbound mail with my domain spoofed as the sender. The scenario turned up when a person I know received spam with the sender being spoofed showing amber () mydomain com and recipient being myfriend () mydomain com. After inspecting the mail headers, we discovered that the source IP was definitely external. We've scoured sendmail.org, arachnoid.com, cauce.org and all the books we have and could not find this scenario speifically mentioned.
Problems/Questions
1. If we block spammers by domain as recommended at http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/antispam.html#filter_forwarding, how do we get around our internal users being blocked from sending mail out? 2. Does anyone know of a way to check the network that a specific domain is sending from? This way we could look at mydomain.com and compare it to a specific subnet that we allow.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim