Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure vpn or telnet sessions

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:45:28 -0800

You have two options-- you might want to investigate both because they are fundamentally different in how they authenticate and encrypt.

1)  Use SSH.

2) use Kerberos and Kerberized Telnet. If you truly have a VPN, maybe you can log into the KDC and then use that to establish an encrypted telnet session. Your Telnet server and client would both have to support kerberos and I would HIGHLY recommend configuring the server to only handle fully encrypted connections.

Leon Ward wrote:

Take a look at ssh, it can accomplish both your goals.

nard
http://www.nardware.co.uk