Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure NFS

From: Gene Yoo <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:03:34 -0800

Peet Grobler wrote:
I've been wondering about this for a while now...

Everybody knows NFS is insecure. Right. So no-one uses it. Why not simply modify NFS to use encryption? Why not?

Not tunneling, modify the source to either (a) establish ssl connections, or (b) manually encrypt all traffic (I would
prefer this
one).

I'd say, for added security, don't use any public-key exchange. Have a configuration file in which you can specify,
say, 6 keys,
which will dynamically be changed on-the-fly.

If you're interested in such a solution (any one of the above), let me know. I could probably hack it together this
weekend, and
provide you with a patch. I have been meaning to do this, for the experience. I know how to do it, just never did it,
since no-one
would use it :)

Lemme Know,
Peet