Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HIPAA certs

From: "Garbrecht, Frederick" <FGarbrecht () ecogchair org>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:44:22 -0500

The absence of very specific requirements in the HIPAA regs is a source of a
lot of consternation, but I believe the policies were specifically written
to be vague; the actual 'fit' of security and privacy recommendations will
vary depending on a number of factors that may be unique to each covered
entity.  For example, the security regs will have different implications for
a large health plan with a complex network  than for a solo practitioners
office with a single computer and a cable modem.  There seems to be a
surprising lack of guidance available, as you have found out; most of the
information on the web (aside from the relevant government sites) is not
very helpful because it is put there by consulting groups with a proprietary
interest in selling their expertise.  I've found that the 'HIPAA@IT' books
(available at Amazon) are pretty good at distilling the essential points and
providing the closest thing to a checklist that you can follow to perform
gap analysis and subsequently work toward compliance.  There are also some
software tools available that will perform the analysis for you as well, but
they tend not to be cheap.  The web sources that I find useful are the
HIPAAdvisory site http://www.hipaadvisory.com/, and the government sites:
the HHS Office of Civil Rights, for the privacy regs ->
http://www.hipaadvisory.com/, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
(CMS) -> http://www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/.

I don't think that anyone has any experience at this point with HIPAA
inspections (at least insofar as privacy and security rule compliance is
concerned).  The HIPAA privacy rules have not taken effect yet (compliance
due date is April 14th of this year); the final security reg was only
published in the Federal Register yesterday, and the compliance date will be
at least a year away.

Frederick Garbrecht, M.D., GSEC
Garbrecht Consulting