Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Server Project

From: "Brian Wojtczak ( Lawyers Online )" <astrolox () lawyersonline co uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:25:17 +0000

--

I think the major reason that you weren't "attacked" sooner is because the box was doing nothing.

I must also point out ( as someone else did ) that a plain install which hasn't got anything interesting on it would
look like to trap to most hackers.

My guess is that if you put some web site up on the box and publish the address then you would have been a much more
inviting target.

We don't run any windows servers yet I'm constantly seeing Nimda or code red style attacks against our servers. Stuff
that only works against windows. I find that these attacks happen most often during the night ( GMT ), I'm guessing
they are "script kiddies" as I'm not aware of a virus which cares if it's night or day.

My point is our servers are well published, we host lots of web sites and are in an ip address range with other servers
which host lots of web sites, and we see IIS attacks every day.

Regards,
Brian, Lawyers Online