Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cryptography/Cryptanalysis

From: Chris Alfeld <calfeld () math utah edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:22:00 -0700 (MST)

real life(ie: encrypting a unix file system with aes(just an example)). If
there are any books/online texts you can refer me to please do so. Also,
what guides/books do you recommend I should take a look at on the subject of
Cryptanalysis? My goal is to some-day become a cryptanalyst for the NSA.

The main books you want are Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier (ISBN
0471117099) though beware this is a serious book; and closely related,
Practical Cryptography by Niels Fergunson and Bruce Schneier (ISBN
0471223573).  Once you get through these two books I'd suggest starting to
read papers and journals in the field.  You should also pick up a strong
mathematical background, mainly in number theory/algebraic number theory.

-Chris Alfeld