Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SPAM filter...

From: "sietze" <sietze () sistemaseuropeos com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:40:50 +0100

MDaemon (for Windows)from www.altn.com, and no doubt other programs do,
something similar.
After a configurable number of mistries the sending IP is chucked into the
"tarpit". A configurable, deliberate delay is added to every SMTP command
from the tarpitted IP so further attempts are discouraged. Not as severe a
method, but very effective as well. Legal senders will still be able to
deliver from that IP, though with a delay.

Kerio MailServer, although not open source, has a "max. number of unknown
recipients (directory harvest attack protection)" feature. I have enabled
this on my email server, and have it set to 5. Therefore, when
the spammer
guesses five incorrect email addresses, the mailserver will block the
spammers IP. It is very effective.

-Paul Kurczaba