Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SPAM filter...

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:00:28 -0800

        I assume your talking about
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/blackhole/) and not a RBL. I took a look
at the project when I was reviewing what Spam solution we were going to
use. I decided to stay away from it for a few reasons.

        1.) Documentation and Support. This project seamed to lack a
good round of documentation and support (FAQ, etc) information.
        2.) Community Base. I didn't see that this project had a very
big community (following/fan) base.
        3.) Commercially installed product base. I spoke to a bunch of
Admins I've met of the year and none of the heard of or would consider
deploying it.
        4.) No/Limited Bayesian system. I looked but was unable to find
what technology their learning systems uses. SA uses a bayes filter
which IMHO can't be beat.

        The solution we ended on (Postfix->SpamAssassin->Amavisd) is
seamless and very robust. Postfix is a great Mail interface and very
secure and stable. Amavis-new is a unbeatable MTA for handling multiple
AV and Spam scanning programs and SA has to be the best Spam Filter I've
seen yet. The down side is multiple config files and systems to watch
out for and upgrading is a little bit of a pain.

        But your (others) mileage may very, its looks like a very
promising project.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA