Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wi-Fi Security - setup of AirSnarf

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:36:36 -0800

        I can't help you with Airsnarf, but I did demo a product from
SonicWall just before it was released. It's a WiFi gateway with built-in
VPN and works very well for a small user base.
http://www.sonicwall.com/products/sohotzw.html. I've also used a product
from Proxim, http://www.orinocowireless.com/solutions/hotspot/ and it
worked VERY well for a public access solution.

        Wifi is not that dangerous of a technology, all you need to do
is design it right. At work, I've setup a WiFi AP, but I've placed it in
my DMZ which is already secure. When someone wants to access the network
I map an IP from the firewall to that MAC and grant it an x hour pass to
the system. Then close the hole and remove the ARP entry. I'm working on
setting up a special DMZ for this purpose using *NIX and Net filter
(seaming I can automate it via PERL and shell scripts). Personally for
Internal WiFi I use Cisco Aironet AP's
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/index.html) great range
and power with good security.

Shawn Jackson