Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HTTPS vs encrypted frames in HTTP

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:48:25 -0800

        The browser would still have to do the SSL handshake with the
webserver and thus the data transmitted from the browser to that webpage
should be encrypted. Personally I feel its bad design to not have the
'Padlock' because that will generate customer complaints and turn away
weary customers. Also if you can see the SSL cert and it's from a
trusted source, Verislime or others, then you should be ok. I'd look at
the source of the frame page; it's probably calling the other frames
with an http:// URL while the 'secured' frame is an https:// URL.

        For a second there I thought you were talking about network
frame, boy I've been around wires way too much!

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107