Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISSP Boot Camps

From: Brian Keefer <chort () amaunetsgothique com>
Date: 14 Dec 2003 17:20:44 -0800

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:32, Patrick Beam wrote:

All,

I am currently studying for the CISSP and I
was wondering are the CISSP boot camps worth the money? I really like
the idea of taking 7 straight days to study for the exam and then take
the test immediately afterwards.  I am currently considering taking a
boot camp class from The Training Camp who appear to be the official
(ISC)2 training program.  I would be interested in hearing from people
that have taken this course in the past and I would also like to hear
from people that have taken courses from other training organizations.
 Thanks for the advice in advance.

Regards,
Patrick

It totally depends on how much background knowledge you have and how
much you've studied so far.  If you intuitively have a good grasp of
"best practices" and you've read one of the Bible-like CISSP study books
cover to cover, chances are you don't need a boot camp.  If on the other
hand, you have trouble understanding the reasoning behind some common
best practices, or you're unfamiliar with best practices in general,
then a boot camp would probably be beneficial, even if you have read a
very thick book.

I would suggest taking a number of the online test exams (I found the
test section of cccure.org very useful) and gauge your readiness from
there.

One last thing:  Don't expect a boot camp to get you past the CISSP exam
if you haven't studied much other material and don't already have a
strong background.

I had a lot of hands-on experience with implementing best practices and
I read one of the prep-guides cover to cover, then re-read the summary
of each chapter (took me 5 months).  I was able to pass without a boot
camp and honestly, I don't think I would have found them to be useful in
light of my prior experience.

HTH.

--
Brian Keefer, CISSP
Senior Field Engineer, Professional Services