Security Basics mailing list archives

Sniffing

From: "Shah H (Comp)" <03004309 () glam ac uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:30:13 -0000

Greetings to everyone on the group!!!!!!!

I'm not an expert in the Security Arena like many of the guys on this
group & wanted some information about Sniffer Programs solely for
education purpose.

1) On a Switched Network can Sniffers capture Network Traffic only for
the switch it is connected to switch or for all the switches on the
network?

2) Can Sniffing be detected using a Network Intrusion Detection System
and if yes then are there any Sniffing ways which are not detected by
NDIS?

Thank you all for your time. I sincerely await your replies...

Cheers,

Harshang Shah