Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Identifying a computer

From: Dean Davis <Dean.Davis () mbg-inc com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:39:48 -0500

If it's a Windoze box, try "nbtstat -a ip_address" and see if a useful name
returns. This assumes that the typical Windoze NetBIOS-related ports are
accessible. Otherwise, the prior MAC-suggestion is a solid option.

Thanks,
Dean Davis, MCSE,MCDBA,CCNA,CNA,N+,Linux+
Sr. Network Engineer
MBG, Inc.
370 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017