Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Identifying a computer

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:40:39 -0800

        Block the IP at the router/firewall and see who complains? Did
you snif the traffic and see what they were transmitting, that could
also give you insight to who/what the system is. Another way is to get
the MAC address of the system and compare it to the vendors list
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt. Say you know you have
Netgear on your network, a 00-09-5B prefix, and your offender has a
00-00-0C prefix. Just find that hardware, Cisco.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107