Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WiFi security implications

From: "Security Newsletters-TM" <SecurityNewsletters.tm () telus com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:26:25 -0500

It really doesn't matter.

I've been watching this thread for a while.  Here are my comments to the original question.

1) IPsec over 802.11 is great, and depending on the IPSec algorythms and key sizes used, almost completely unbreakable
except for private millionairs and government agencies.

2) Want even more security, lock down the 802.11 AP.  I suspect you're not using a Cisco one, so in that case make sure
you do the following

        i) Enable the highest WEP key possible
        ii) Change the SSID from default to something crazy that anyone walking by your office with a PDA won't lock
onto by accident like "123fjdksfj2342" .
        iii) Use a different channel than the default.
        iv) Remove the beacon, or minimize it.
        v) lock down or filter the Mac address of your laptop.

3) As an alternative, you may wish to move away from the 802.11B spectrum as plenty of kiddies have these 70 dollar
cards (CDN).